As I ended my last post mysteriously...on the ride home from Omaha, 9:26pm, my cell phone rings and it's my mother. My heart sank. I knew exactly why she was calling. Prior to our trip, as in the night we were supposed to be packing to leave as early as possible the next morning; I was at the hospital with my Uncle Cliff. I felt it my heart I needed to see him should something happen before I got back to Missouri. I'm glad I followed my gut because I didn't make it back in time to see him again.
Thankfully he was able to go home and was surrounded by family and loved ones in his own home when he passed. The next evening I got a call from my dad and my Aunt Terry wanted me to put together a slide show memorial for the visitation and dinner following the funeral. I packed up everything I would need and headed back home to assist in any way I was needed. We spend five plus hours scanning photos from old photo albums. I spent the next twelve plus hours touching up the old photographs and building the slide show DVD.
I took the disc to my aunt's home. My cousin was there, along with my parents and the preacher. They were discussing what she would like to happen for the ceremony. Amidst that, my cousin put the DVD in the player to make sure it was going to play and my aunt stopped mid-sentence and asked him to turn it off. It was just too much for her. Not so good timing on our part.
After a bit longer we headed out and shortly after we left they sat down and watched it. The next day at the visitation she told me how much she loved the DVD and that made me smile from ear to ear. To know I could provide a sliver of comfort during such a difficult time.
The next day I took off for home by myself to attend the funeral. My aunt had asked me to take as many pictures as possible for my uncle's celebration of life. It was strange as I'd never done anything quite like it. Nor had I seen such a celebration before. My uncle was a war veteran and twenty-one year fireman for Wood Heights Fire Protection District.
He received full military honors as well as a fireman's last call. It was heart wrenching, gorgeous, and absolutely amazing to see the love shared by his fellow firemen. I found it particularly difficult to capture photographs during the 21 gun salute, taps, and the last call ceremony. I'm even finding it hard to write this at this very moment.
My uncle was well loved, he lived life well and it showed.
![]() |
| Being carried to Wood Heights Fire Protection District Pumper One. |
![]() |
| Protection and escort provided by the patriot guard as well as five plus fire districts. |
![]() |
| Being taken to his final resting place by his youngest son (red tie) and nephew (policeman). |
![]() |
| Presentation of the American flag and gratitude from the United States Army. |
![]() |
| The Last Alarm Ceremony |
"The Last Alarm"
The men and women of today’s fire service are confronted
with a more dangerous work environment than ever before. We are forced to continually change our
strategies and tactics to accomplish our tasks.
Our methods may change, but our goals remain the same as
they were in the past, to save lives and to protect property, sometimes at a
terrible cost. This is what we do, this
is our chosen profession, this is the tradition of the fire fighter.
The fire service of today is ever changing, but is steeped
in traditions 200 years old. One such
tradition is the sound of the bell.
In the past as firefighters began their tour of duty, it was
the bell that signaled the beginning of that day’s shift. Throughout the day and night, each alarm was
sounded by a bell, which summoned these brave souls to fight fires and to place
their lives in jeopardy for the good of their fellow citizen. And when the fire was out and the alarm had
come to and end, it was the bell that signaled to all the completion of that
call. When a fire fighter had died in
the line of duty, paying the supreme sacrifice, it was the mournful toll of the
bell that solemnly announced a comrade’s passing.
We utilize these traditions as symbols, which reflect honor and
respect on those who have given so much and who served so well. To symbolize the devotion that these brave
souls had for their duty, a special signal of five rings, three times each,
represents the end of our comrades’ duties and that they will be returning to
quarters. And now, Clifford Phillips, Jr. has completed his tasks. His duties well done, he has given his
best. For our fallen brother, his last
alarm. He has gone home.
The central dispatch read a last call for Clifford W. Phillips Jr. at this time over the air waves for all local departments to hear.
The bell is struck solemnly five times for three cycles;
pausing in between strikes and cycles.
~This is something I cannot get out of my head.
![]() |
| Missed, but not forgotten. |
Thank you for letting me share this journey. It has been therapeutic and the loss of my uncle is going to take a lot of time for the family.









No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave some love! I enjoy your thoughts on my stories and photographs.