Today Evan had his next evaluation with Parents As Teachers. We were concerned with his lack of vocabulary, so this was also a check up on his progress. We rambled off a few of things we were certain that he has been able to communicate. We just didn't have a grasp on exactly how many words he knew how to say.
Leanne said it would be best if we make a word diary for him. We needed to list all of his sign words and phrases and any vocal words or phrases. We were pleasantly surprised to see that he does have a larger vocabulary than we really thought.
He still doesn't sign or speak over two word phrases, so that's something to work on, but he does have a grasp on the important words. Leanne is also not very concerned with his lack of vocalization because he comprehends everything he is told. His reception skills are outstanding. If he were lacking in that area then she would refer us for the PAT speech program, but at this point Evan would not qualify because of his ability to comprehend. So I suppose there is a silver lining?
She did gives us the contact information for the county's speech department. She believes that we could get him evaluated through the county for free if we felt he needed it. Below is the list I was able to come up with, or at least the things I could remember. #16 & #17 on the vocal list are accompanied with the appropriate signs too.
I'm just relieved to know that there really isn't anything "wrong" with him. He's just moving at his own pace. We will continue to keep an eye on him and we'll probably still check in with our primary doctor in August.
In other Evan news... He's been hit or miss with naps this past month. In fact if he sleeps, Arabella doesn't and it's really wearing on me. I love having some quiet time to myself. But lately I'm usually fighting one or the other to get them to nap. So, a couple of days ago, Evan was fighting it. Getting into everything in his room, just being a general pain. Adam & I were catching up on some DVR shows and we heard a blood curdling scream.
Adam & I ran up and he was curled in a ball on the floor clutching his chest and alternating with grabbing his knee. Fabulous! What did he do now? Of course Mama bird swooped him up and was off to inspect him. His knee instantly bruised up black and blue. :( Then he kept grabbing at his chest, so I removed his shirt to find a blood blister like ouchie. It was scratched and looked like it was bleeding but no blood was flowing from it.
WHAT DID HE DO?
Our best guess is it had something to do with his shoe crate. He had been removing the hand made baby blankets from it and sitting in it while he was supposed to be napping. Finally I bought an under the bed box for his blankets as I do not need those handmade beauties destroyed by a playful little man. Then we started throwing his shoes and slippers in the crate as we had done with his sisters.
I've busted him several times sitting in it. :/ Or at the very least we've found his shoes and slippers in his bed after he gets up from nap time. I'm almost certain that was the culprit. Anyway, so yesterday during lunch he was a little over zealous in his eating efforts and we through him the tub before nap time.
After posting the picture to my 365 project, Adam spoke his opinion and thought I should edit that boo-boo out. Nope, I'm not going to do it. Why? Because he's a little boy and little boys get hurt. They are boisterous, rambunctious little balls of dirt and boo-boos. Why would I want to remove that memory?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave some love! I enjoy your thoughts on my stories and photographs.