So, Evan is a year old now. And for, oh I don't know how long, some of the grandparents have given us the age old "Well as soon as you wean him let us know so we can keep him overnight for you." Well, I hate to disappoint you family members out there, and please take no offense, but it isn't going to be happening any time soon.
Arabella and I made it to nearly 8 months, but that was cut short due to the impending birth of Evan. With Evan we struggled out of the gate and we kept re-evaluating and things worked themselves out, with the help of speech therapy, and my ultimate goal was one year. Well, the goal was reached yesterday. We have been nursing for a full 365 days. I AM SO FREAKING PROUD OF US. Never in my dreams did I truly think I'd be able to breastfeed for that long, let alone EXCLUSIVELY, due to my reduction. But we did it. We set a goal and we reached it.
So, now what? Where do we go from here? Well, I'll be honest; I'm not ready to give up breastfeeding. Evan isn't showing signs of giving up either. We still nurse at least once a night and usually 5 or 6 times during the day, this is with solids and table foods. I will also mention that the AAP recommends breastfeeding be extended for at least the first year of life and beyond as long as it is mutual. So are we quitting any time soon? No. Until he decides he's done, we'll keep on trucking.
I'm proud to say that we are extended breastfeeders, and ever so happy that I can give my child such an amazing gift.

Congrats! So proud of you guys!!!
ReplyDelete