Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You Capture ~ Depth of Field

This weeks You Capture challenge was Depth of Field. What does this mean? In short terms it means the foreground is in focus and the background is blurry or vice versa. This was something that I thought occured naturally in some photographs but as I've learned you can make your camera do this wonderful thing but adjusting it. I don't have the first clue when it comes to my camera like I thought. I truly have a professional camera if I learn to use it properly. Thanks to Beth I'm beginning to see just what my camera can do. So sit back and enjoy my ride as I learn how to properly use my camera. I'm hoping by now that my photography skills are improving.

I practiced on my daughter's new nesting blocks. Kinda cute huh?
Then I hit the town, so to speak. My honey kept the kiddos for a half hour or so in order for me to get some shots in. Here are some pretty flowers near a local golf course.


These little yellow guys are just so cute.
**Thanks to Bec I now know these are called Lantana.**

This is our fireplace screen.

This one didn't really work the way I wanted it to. I was attempting to get the foreground posts in focus while keeping the remainder of the posts out of focus. Instead it kept the fence in the back (behind the front fence) in focus and put the front fence out of focus.

The same fence.


This is a water fountain near the same golf course.

I really wish this fountain was in my yard. :)



For more depth of field photography visit I Should Be Folding Laundry.

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. The cute yellow flowers are Lantana and they come in a billion different colors- one of my favorite flowers! I've been practicing shooting manual on my camera so this was a fun assignment for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to know the name of them. I just saw them at one of the golf courses and thought they'd make some neat pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice photos. The water photos are amazing. It is so nice to have some water in the picture, it makes it so lively. Nice to meet you by You Capture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice work. :) I think I'm partial to the fence pictures and the water pictures (I'm always jealous of water pictures because my camera's not fast enough to really capture it well) And the yellow flower pics are nice too. Glad you got out for a bit to enjoy your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That yellow flower is gorgeous. I love your fence too! Great job! You totally rocked it out of the park this week! Look at how many you did. Very, very nice! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool looking fence & I really like your fireplace screen. Nice Job.

    ON a sidenote...we have those blocks & both my kiddos have so much fun with them. WE bought them for the 9 month babe but the almost three year old has just as much fun! Worth the $9. :)

    Nice Capturing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is that yellow flower? The shots a gorgous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I love the yellow flower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amber, those are Lantana, thanks to Bec I now know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those photos are all great. But the glass is just fantastic! Love your captures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job for a beginner! I am learning too, although my pace is very, very slow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos. My favorites are the fence photos especially the one where you focused through the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to tell you about The Happiness Project over at my Blog. It's simple, every Tuesday you just post a photo of something that makes you wildly happy. It's been so rewarding to meditate each week on what brings me happiness. I would like invite you to join and link up to Mr. Linky. I am trying to take over the Blogosphere with happiness!

    Here is a link to last weeks round up if you want to check it out!

    http://leighvslaundry.blogspot.com/2010/05/happiness-project-week-12.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave some love! I enjoy your thoughts on my stories and photographs.


Bella with Zakk Wylde

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
My name is Bobbi. My husband, Adam, and I have been married since September of 2007. We welcomed our daughter, Arabella, on December 31, 2008 and our son, Evan, on February 2, 2010. I'm a stay at home mommy who loves being able to be there for our children. Adam works for a communication company and has been there for ten years now. We are enjoying our time together and our newly expanded family. Things are hectic but all too fun with our Irish twins! I started the blog to keep everyone up to date with our going-ons and to give me a place to blow off steam from time to time. I hope you come back often an take a peek at the pictures I enjoy sharing.