Sigh, I don't have a picture to go with this, but considering what we found in Arabella's room I was too beside myself to grab the camera. Didn't even cross my mind. Around noon I put her down for a nap. By one we had been in there four times. She kept telling us her diaper needed changed. And every time she was lying. Now, considering just two days ago I was pulling poop and pee filled sheets off her bed after she removed her diaper after a nap, I was taking her seriously. She obviously had my number. So we left her. Adam grabbed some food and joined me in bed shortly after since everyone was taking a nap. We apparently were sorely wrong. A little bit before four I heard banging coming from her room. In the past she's been known to put her legs through the spindles and kick her wall behind the crib. So after a few knocks it started to sound more like pounding on her door. I thought to myself, "that's not possible", after all the door is too far away from her crib and her arms aren't that long. So I woke Adam and told him she was banging on the wall again.
He climbed out of bed, walked to her room and the next thing I heard was "What the XXXX!" He was having trouble getting the door open, so I sprung out of bed to see what happened. He pushed the door open enough for us to get in the room and I could not believe my eyes. Her shoe tote was pulled out from under her bed and her shoes strewn about the room. Her stuffed animals and blankets lay every where. I thought in my head, how the heck did she get the shoes everywhere like that if she's in her crib. Oh I was so sadly mistaken. The next thing I saw was her tiny drawers that sit on her dresser full of hair accessories and the one containing hundreds of little rubber bands was missing. Her sippy sat neatly at the edge of the dresser, whereas I normally store it on top of the diaper paste can in front of the tiny drawers to prevent moisture damage to the dresser. I squeezed into the room and there she was, hiding behind her rocker next to the closet door. Chapstick in hand. She ate the entire tube. She had thrown blankets and animals behind the door which is why Adam couldn't get it open. After a few minutes we located the rubber band drawer hiding under a blanket, mostly in tact. I only found a few pieces on the carpet. Adam picked up the animals and blankets. I made Arabella clean up her shoes after I cleaned her face and hands of excess chapstick that didn't make it into her mouth.
I looked at Adam and said "How? Did she even take a nap?" To which he said "I don't think she did." The only thing that remained in her crib was her pillow. So I'm left to believe that after her box climbing lesson in the living room today, she applied her method to climbing out of the crib with the help of her pillow. I mean we never heard a thud, no crying, no talking, nothing. She was so quiet about it. To make matters worse I even had the monitor on. She is stealth and this in not going to be good for Mommy or Daddy. So now we have to contemplate are we going to keep her in the crib? Are we going to convert the bed to full size and start training her to sleep in there? Was this a fluke? I don't know, but in the mean time I put the knob cover on the inside of her door so that should she escape again she can't bust out into the rest of the house. Knowing her she'd have fruit cups and canned goods scattered everywhere. I'm just saddened by this whole episode. My baby is not a baby anymore.
And the fun begins!! I'd move everything from her reach and try the crib again. If she climbs out on her own (without the help of boxes) switch her for safety! :)
ReplyDelete