Today we had another evaluation with our OT at Children's Mercy. It was a rather pleasant experience, especially in comparison to last time. Evan has made great improvements over the last two weeks.Our OT observed him nursing and was amazed by the change in his demeanor and body language. He is completely relaxed at the breast, he doesn't arch as much if at all, and his latch has made amazing improvements. He's still far from perfect, but it is so much better than the painful days behind us.
He's doing much better when he takes a bottle. And I will also note we've gone two days now without needing any supplement, he's been completely satisfied with the breast alone!!!! We haven't seen any real reflux issues, as in I haven't seen any spit up on his tongue or milk residue. The OT is rather impressed with his improvements in the last two weeks. I also told her that Evan has seen the chiropractor the past two weeks and we will be visiting him again this Friday. I told her that Dr. Tim was able to get his plumbing working when we were having bowel issues and that Dr. Tim felt we could nip the reflux with a few adjustments. It seems it has been working, between the adjustments, keeping him in the sling and elevated at night. Unfortunately the little man has been fighting a cold he caught from his sissy. Besides, there was no way I was going to pay $250 for reflux medicine that may or may not work for an infant. Yes, $250 AFTER insurance...
Going forward I still have to work on his oral stimulation exercises, but the OT doesn't need to see us again. The only reasons we would have to go back to CMH is if he begins to regress with his nursing and sucking or begins to stop gaining and/or loses weight.
I feel so much more relaxed since he's improved his nursing technique. I still know he can do better, I just have to keep working with him. Here's to the future and the amazing people who've stood by us through these difficult months. A big THANK YOU to Tiffany Speck (our amazing LC), Claudia (our OT) and Dr. Tim (our chiropractor).


Hooray! So glad he's nursing better! :)
ReplyDelete