This is an important milestone for us. One I was somewhat sad to see go, but I have accepted it and am proud of the accomplishments we made. We have officially weaned. We successfully breastfed for over seven months. The weaning truly started taking place when we began solid foods. But it kicked into high gear once I found out I was pregnant. Since that day, my supply slowly dwindled and she demanded more food. I am at peace with our decision. Sure I could have taken a supplement, safe for pregnancy, to maintain the supply, but I need the break. My child has always been a marathon nurser. It's very likely she was that way for a couple of reasons. My husband could never get enough food, according to him Mommy. Or it could be because of my breast reduction. I applaud my own efforts and the support of my wonderful husband. Without him we wouldn't have made it as far as we did. I also have to thank the wonderful ladies in the lactation department at the hospital. We got off to a rocky start, but without their advice we would have been lost. They are still amazed that we were able to exclusively breast feed considering the amount of tissues I had removed. I know we could have made it to her first birthday, and I am not going to fret over it. Mommy needs her body back, even though a new alien has invaded it. In a few months we will start the process all over again. I've given Arabella the best chance my body could give her. I sustained her life with nutrients from mine. That is quite a feat. It still amazes me that the human body does everything that it's supposed to, from growing the life to nurturing it. Am I disappointed? No. Am I thrilled we weaned? No. Am I happy I have a very healthy, chunky, well rounded (pun intended) child? Yes. And that's all that matters in the end. Sure it's costing more out of pocket to feed her, but I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. This includes the struggles, the tears, the biting, the yanking, the sore cracked nipples, remind me why I did this again? Just kidding, I loved it. From beginning to end and I will be ready to do it again.


Awww... :)
ReplyDelete