Friday, April 3, 2009

Thankful for the life we have

Long awaited picture of Ned & Ted


I have spent the past three months, moaning & groaning about Arabella's sleep habits. I have also complained about nursing and milk issues. But after talking to a high school friend I have come to realize that I really don't have anything to complain about. Sure she fights when it comes to naps, and she starts a war when it is bed time. Yes, she'll lick the sheets off the bed; drool soaked sheets are apparently how she likes to sleep. But really, what do I have to complain about? I have a well fed, healthy three month old. She surprises the doctors with her strength and determination. She loves us and you can tell when you look in her pretty blue eyes. So what gives me the right to complain about the little things in life?

My friend has a child, under two years old, who has Gaucher's disease. They discovered what the problem was in May of last year. After everything they have been through, little man is only weighing in at 14 pounds. Bella just reached the fourteen pound mark and is three months old. They found out yesterday that the feeding tube they had put in a couple of weeks ago is not helping like they had hoped and now are facing a terrible decision of a bone marrow transplant. Before talking to the doctors, the odds are 50/50. If it goes well, he could be in the hospital for 6 weeks or more. It could extend his lifespan for a few more years, but right now its looking grim. The other side of the coin is they don't do the transplant and he lives out his little life as best he can. A transplant is terribly painful for both the recipient and the donor. If it doesn't work, it could shorten his already short lifespan. I was reading his blog update and broke down crying. Bella was laying in my lap, talking and cooing away, and I was balling like a baby. I looked down at her and said I am so thankful you are a healthy little girl. She responded with a very loud coo. So really, in his short life, Ethan has been through more than any child should ever have to bare. Who am I to complain about a simple sleep issue? I feel like an emotional wreck right now, but am I ever so thankful that the good Lord blessed us with a healthy child.

On a happier note, tomorrow we will be taking Bella to get her three month pictures done as well as our first family portrait. I'm kind of excited, let's just hope I'm not disappointed. Guess this means I'll have to give Bella a bath tonight?

2 comments:

  1. I just got done being frustrated trying to get Nate to sleep - thank you for sharing this story and putting things back in perspective. My heart bleeds for your friend.

    I feel like going and hugging & kissing my healthy baby one more time, but I won't or we will be up another hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I love the pic with Ned and Ted. HAHAHAHA that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave some love! I enjoy your thoughts on my stories and photographs.


Bella with Zakk Wylde

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
My name is Bobbi. My husband, Adam, and I have been married since September of 2007. We welcomed our daughter, Arabella, on December 31, 2008 and our son, Evan, on February 2, 2010. I'm a stay at home mommy who loves being able to be there for our children. Adam works for a communication company and has been there for ten years now. We are enjoying our time together and our newly expanded family. Things are hectic but all too fun with our Irish twins! I started the blog to keep everyone up to date with our going-ons and to give me a place to blow off steam from time to time. I hope you come back often an take a peek at the pictures I enjoy sharing.